Monday 5 January 2009

I have absolutely noooo food in the house!

Do you sometimes find yourself uttering that very sentence, despite an overflowing shelf/fridge/freezer?

Well, I frequently do. So the other day I decided to postpone shopping for two days and live of what was still in my kitchen. How hard could it be?

I didn't do a full inventory but amongst the food stuff I had at home were:
- regular tofu
- smoked tofu
- a pound of organic potatoes
- canned green beans
- two large onions
- a nearly full pack of Wetabix
- a litre of soy milk
- wholewheat toast
- margarine
- strawberry jam
- peanut butter
- sushi rice
- two packs of nori
- a pack flour
- half a pack wholewheat spaghetti
- a pack of spelt pasta
- a pound of frozen mixed veggies
- three frozen portions of homemade chili

As you can see, I definitely wasn't going to starve anytime soon.

I can't remember what I had for breakfast those two days, but I reckon that was were the toast and jam came in. One dinner was covered by the chili, the other was simply skipped (because I had slept through half the day and only managed to fit two meals into the time I was awake).

On the first day I had mashed potatoes with roasted onionsfor lunch, which probably sounds rather dull but is actually yummy, filling, and also a childhood comfort-food for me.

On the second day, I simply spooned the left over mashed potatoes on a baking sheet and threw them into the oven for half an hour to get somewhat oddly-shaped croquettes. I don't recall on what temperature I had the oven but apparently it wasn't high enough, as the croquettes weren't as crispy as I had hoped. But they were still very tasty and went well with the green beans and smoked tofu cubes (just heated those in a small skilled with a bit of oil, seasoning them with salt, black pepper, and the tiniest dash of sugar).

I would have loved to share some pictures of those dishes with you but unfortunately the one thing I really was out of were batteries.

So, have instead a picture of my loved-by-every-omni-I-ever-fed-it-to lasagna:

Photobucket
(why yes, it's round)


I hope everyone is well and had nice holidays.

No comments: