Wednesday 7 January 2009

Baby it's cold outside

Since it was a frosty -10°C in my part of the world when I left home yesterday morning, I decided that I would have a nice, hot soup for dinner.

It has to be said, though, I'm not a big fan of soup. There are a few I like (e.g. the creamy veggie soups my mom makes, or the spicy sweet & sour veggie soup you sometimes find at Chinese restaurants) but most soups do nothing for me.

And in all the years, I never made soup myself. So I thought it would be best to go for something simple and decided on a creamy cauliflower soup, which turned out lovely (whereas the pic didn't).

Photobucket

What you need:

- 1 large head cauliflower

- 250ml soy cream

- about 2 tablespoon veggie stock of your choice

- salt, black pepper, nutmeg, granulated garlic, and sugar for seasoning

Clean the cauliflower, put it in a large pot with about a litre of water, put the lid on and boil/steam it till it's soft, then take the pot off the stove.

Break up the cauliflower with a fork or potato masher then briefly puree it with a hand-blender (all still in the same pot with the cooking water). Add the soy cream, the veggie stock, a dash of sugar and the other spices to taste.

Put the pot back on the stove (low heat this time), let it simmer for a few minutes, and add some more water if the soup's too thick. Taste and add more spices if necessary.

I had the soup with some roasted breadcrumbs, which I seasoned with nutritional yeast, salt, black pepper, and granulated garlic (and if you add herbs like basil or oregano, this goes well with most pasta dishes too).

Enjoy!

Feeds at least 3 people, or more if you serve bread with it.

2 comments:

Hase said...

Hallo Margot,
schön, dass du dich in unserem Blog gemeldet hast, auf diese Weise habe ich auch deinen Blog entdeckt! :)

Margot said...

Hi Hase,

schön dich hier zu sehen. :)

Hrm, schon ganz eingestaubt hier, wird dringend Zeit für ein paar neue Einträge.